I just started a book called the Glory of Christ yesterday night. It's by a man named John Owens who was a puritan pastor. What I loved about it immediately was that it was very raw kind of style. That's how the puritans were. Now I'm reading the easy-to-read version and it's still raw, so yay for good translations.
There are so many different ways that different writers approach preaching the gospel. I find it very interesting. I think as we do read different Christian books we should branch out more and have a variety of authors, who have the same doctrinal beliefs. Christ can work in us in many different ways and from different angles.
Anyways, I wanted to share with you some of what I read because it's SO beautiful! And it's on the glory of Christ. Just think for a moment how much you know about the glory of Christ? You know enough, because preachers always talk about Christ and his glory. But what weight have you put in it, for you personal life? Do you often think about the glory of Christ?
My family used to do West minister Catechism (which we should have continued ;), and the first questions was, "what is man's primary purpose?"
The answer to this, one that I love is "Man primary purpose is to glorify God and enjoy him forever." Now that's beautiful!
What does it mean? Just glorify God in our actions only? Enjoy him forever?
Now, back to the book, it said, "The greatest desire that Christ expressed in his prayer [on the cross] was that his people might be with him to behold his glory. (John 17:24)"
I certainly never thought of it like that. I suppose that I never really thought about it at all. But just take a moment to think, if that is his greatest desire, has he fulfilled that in us? Have we beheld the glory of Christ? Are we searching to behold the glory of Christ?
He is not concerned that his disciples should merely see how glorious he was, but that the beholding of his glory might bring encouragement, strength, satisfactions and blessedness to his disciples.
Think about it.
I'll just end with that so that perhaps we might ponder what we have heard and really prepare our hearts to behold the glory of Christ.
~Hannah
No comments:
Post a Comment