Have you ever started something and then stopped in the middle? For me the best example would be in school. I'm ahead in my classes, and I think, 'well maybe I'll just do one more'. Then I look at the homework, and how many pages it has, and I think 'well maybe it can wait till tomorrow.' Ever do that? I laugh sometimes, because, hey, doesn't everyone? It just kind of what we do, whether in school, or something else we wait.
Unfortunately, in faith, this also happens. We don't necessarily wait, but we stop or slow down. Perhaps we're not as enthusiastic. Then guess what happens? We turn around, and oops, we sinned a lot. We notice our behavior has shifted downward, our relationships with people aren't as good, because why? We started waiting, sitting, or whatever you might wish to call it. Once we learn an incredible truth and live it for a couple days, we can't stop there.
I am very bad at this myself. I tend to get on these really big spiritual flurries and then it slo--o-oows d-o-owwnnn. It's a very bad habit. And then what happens? I feel so empty because I've lost sight of Jesus. I'm driving on a foggy rode, and the light I was following went out. Then I feel afraid, and I'm more prone to sin.
What should we do?
Simply: Abide in Jesus.
Greear says, "Abiding in Jesus means reminding ourselves constantly that there is nothing we could ever do that would make God love us more, and nothing we have done that can make him love us less."
I know I've quoted that a million times. If we examine it though, it will wow! us every time. Greear also says, "You must dwell on this great truth daily, sometimes hourly. Sometimes every minute......Why so often? Because again, you are hardwired for works-righteousness. When you're not deliberately thinking gospel, you've probably slipped back into self-justification mode."
Yes, friends, it's that easy. The moment we take our eyes off the road, what happens? We crash. We crash spiritually every day.
So I encourage you, fix your relationship with God! No matter who you are, there is always something that is between you and God. Something that takes him away. Whether it's this large black spot in your life, or tiny spects, its worth fixing. Should we not endeavor to fix everything, for the Christ who gave everything? We'll only ever be content in life, when we are abiding in Jesus.
Again, I encourage you, Abide in Jesus. Keep going! Don't stop here, and say I'm done. Push through and live the life worthy for the King. Only in Him can we do this.
In Christ, there is nothing I can do that would make you love me more, and nothing I have done that would make you love me less- JD Greear
~Hannah
No comments:
Post a Comment