Monday, February 20, 2012

~Repentance: Myths of Repentance~

   Today, we're skipping chapter three and going to chapter four. It's really sad, because chapter three is beautiful, but I decided that four is very Beautiful :) I might go back, but for now, we're going to chapter four.
   So weird title? Well it sounds funny, because you don't usually get to see the word "Repentance" and the word "Myth" in the same sentence. BUT I am going to explain it.
    Please read carefully, because REPENTANCE is the first step and there are many misconceptions. Here are some myths of Repentance. 
   {Taken from the book: Repentance. By Richard Owen Roberts.}
 
    It is evident that the repentance with which many persons are content is not the repentance that God Himself requires. The apostle Paul made this clear in insisting that the repentant must perform deeds appropriate to repentance. He warned that there is a repentance that leads to death as well as a repentance that leads to eternal life. To stake one's eternal well-being on an error that could be readily avoided is the ultimate in human tragedy. Please do not let this be you. 

   It begins with a very sincere warning and I think we ought to take this into consideration. The statement is self-explanatory. But I just want to re-quote this, He warned that there is a repentance that leads to death as well as a repentance that leads to life. THIS is a very serious statement. I'll admit, I didn't even know this till I read it. WHAT REPENTANCE LEADS TO DEATH? Well these myths about Repentance might help. 
    Myth One: Sorrow equals Repentance. 
  People often think that they have come to repentance because they have been overwhelmed with sorrow for their sins. Others are fearful that possibly they have not repented sufficiently because they see persons around them weeping profusely and they worry, thinking, "I have never wept like that; perhaps I don't know true repentance." We are all in danger of misunderstanding the relationship between sorrow and Repentance. 
   I don't know about you, but I'm guilty on this point. I've known that there is a wrong kind of repentance. AND I know that tears don't equal repentance. But I was never really sure. There are times where I said just what the worrying people said. "I haven't wept enough, have I repented?" And really I think that's something most people think about in repenting. But there is a separation. Mr. Roberts makes some great points. He tells a story in the next pages or so about a man. It's fascinating actually. While Mr. Roberts was a in church office, a man opened the door (he had met him the previous day and listened to Mr. Roberts teachings) , slammed the door and came and sat by Mr. Roberts. He was weeping and crying and could barely speak. Slowly Mr. Roberts asked him what was the matter and the man told a horrifying story of his immoral life. He was sorry and ashamed he could barely tell the story. Then he asked what he should do. Mr. Roberts said, of course, first Repent, and then go tell your pastor what you just told me. He went to the pastor but it was later confirmed (When Mr.Roberts and the pastor talked) that he hadn't told the pastor the same story. SO, the pastor was worried and asked Mr. Roberts if he thought the man had repented. Mr. Roberts said he hoped so, but he didn't think so. He thought that the man had just been sorry he had been caught by God. And so they prayed to see what would happen. A few weeks later the pastor called Mr. Roberts and asked him if he remembered that same man. Mr. Roberts said "Yes, of course!" And so the Pastor asked him to refresh him memory on the story about the mans life and his confession. Mr. Roberts did exactly that. The Pastor told him he was calling because he had gotten a call from one of the most prominent evangelists in the country rejoicing that he had just added this very same musician to his worship team. The pastor was unsure what do about this and asked Mr. Roberts. Had the man repented? Well, Mr. Roberts said to talk to the evangelist pastor and ask him if the man had told him the same story. And so the Evangelist asked the man about this and the man replied, "Mr. Roberts made all of that up. He was confused, because I told him a story of a different person, not myself." And the story goes on, BUT WAIT A MINUTE. 
   Did you just read that? THE MAN LIED.  And he obviously didn't repent. But he was so overcome by his sin. He WEPT. HE CRIED. BUT HE WASN'T REPENTANT. He was shown his sin by God, but he wasn't REPENTANT. It's actually a rather terrible story. Weeping didn't equal Repentance, it actually equaled deceit and lying. So, we can learn from this. 
    Repentance isn't Sorrow. IT ISN'T SORROW. It's the truth. 
    Mr. Roberts asks this: I ask in tender sympathy, have you personally learned to distinguish between the sorrow of the world and the sorrow of God? Have you felt the horrible possibility of your eternal soul being lost because you cling to a myth? 
    Ponder those questions. 

   Closing with this:
  Let me insist again how urgent it is that we learn to distinguish between sorrow of the world that leads to death and the sorrow that is from God that leads to repentance and eternal life. There is a genuine sorrow that accompanies true repentance, but many who have known flood if tears and racking sobs have never come anywhere near repentance and faith. 


   There are seven myths in chapter four. To be continued. 

   Hope your day is awesome, and May everything you do be for His Glory. 

~Hannah     

No comments:

Post a Comment